This summer we had an unprecedented amount of rain. It flooded our basement and grew mold on a lot of our things…including a bunch of pieces that I was saving to flip and sell.
I didn’t want to throw them away so I researched how to remove mold on wood. @thisoldhouse article showed me how to remove the mold by using a simple solution of dish soap and water.
It explained NOT to use bleach to remove mold in wood because the chlorine cannot penetrate the wood, only leaving the water to be absorbed; thus allowing mold to grow back. Wood is porous and doesn’t work the same as on non porous surfaces.
If you need to remove mold on wood...follow these simple steps:
*Make sure to wear protective eyewear, gloves and mask.
1.Shake up the spray bottle solution of a teaspoon of dish soap with the filled bottle of water… use a soft bristle brush to scrub the mold and wipe off with a towel.
If that doesn’t work, combine equal parts vinegar and water in a spray bottle and spray the wood. Letting it dry for an hour and wipe it with a moist rag then dry with a towel.
If mold still persists use a tablespoon of borax with a cup of water and scrub with a bristle brush letting it sit in the wood and remove any leftover spores
If needed, sand using a 100 grit sandpaper making sure to vaccuum up any dust and debris and throw it out outside the house.
We also bought a dehumidifier and now have a shop vac to take care of any moisture in the air and clean up any standing water within the small retaining wall.
You live and you learn even when you’re a renter. It’s important to take precaution in a rental home (hello renters insurance) And that’s what it is…your home.